Let's talk about IT!

My Links

Archives

Post Categories

icewolf

Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Hallo zusammen,

Kürzlich wollte mein "Lync Server Front-End" und "Lync Server IM Conferencing" Dienst nicht mehr starten. Der Start des Services ist mit "service-specific error code -2146762495" fehlgeschlagen.

Schaut man sich mal das Zertifikat an, so sieht man, dass dieses am 04.01.2013 ausgelaufen ist. Dann muss das Zertifikat wohl schnellsmöglich erneuert werden.

Das macht man mit dem "Lync Server Deplolyment Wizard"

Im Wizard wählt man "Instal or Update Lync Server System" aus

Und hier dann "Request, Install or Assign Certificates"

Im Certificate Wizard klick man dann auf "Request"

Ich habe eine AD online CA und wähle deshalb diesen Punkt aus

Nun muss das Zertifikat noch den Lync Diensten zugeordnet werden.

Sieht doch schon viel besser aus.

Das neue Zertifikat ist im Zertifikatsspeicher. Das alte Zertifikat kann nun gefahrlos gelöscht werden.

Nun könnne auch die Services wieder gestartet werden.

Grüsse
Andres Bohren

Print | posted on Sunday, January 06, 2013 5:55 PM | Filed Under [ UM/Mobile ]

Feedback

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

I am fairly new to the administration of Lync Server 2010 and had an issue this morning where my Lync server wouldn't start with a obscure error. I couldn't check the event viewer as the LSASS.exe process was taking up to 100% of the CPU and the server was almost unresponsive. This blog not only pointed me in the right direction - it gave me the screen shots step by step how to fix the problem. Thank you very much!
3/13/2013 6:26 AM | Lj

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Thanks a million for this very exhaustive description, or I suppose as you would probably put it, vielen dank!

Some people needed to have a video conference and the certificate had expired, mostly thanks to this post the conference was only delayed 5 minutes, appreciate you taking the time to do the step-by-step.
1/13/2014 1:09 PM | KimmoJ

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Thanks for this great post.

Fellow Swiss comrade living in Canada
2/24/2014 4:54 PM | Mario Bargetzi

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Super! thank you very much. Very good done - step by step
3/27/2014 4:20 PM | Laurence Volz

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

You saved my day! Cheers from Brazil.
7/3/2014 8:08 PM | Flavio Pastrolin

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Greetings, thank you for taking the time for such a well documented post. Led me straight through to a very prompt successful conclusion.
10/13/2014 9:14 AM | Jason

Thank you for this.
I was not getting the same "autofilled" items as you until I deleted the expired certificate. Maybe I was doing it wrong until this too. Either way, Thanks for the post.
11/6/2014 7:29 PM | Chris

Thank you!!!!
1/27/2015 4:39 PM | IT9

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Vielen Dank fuer diese Schritte! Dass Du die vielen Screenshots gemacht hast, hiess dass meine englischsprechende Kollegen auch einwandfrei alles verstehen konnten.
2/19/2015 11:31 PM | Trevar

You saved my day! Cheers from Germany
4/13/2015 10:32 AM | TNausE

Hi,

I used your guideline and is really fruitful and it save my weekend. Thanks
6/26/2015 7:16 AM | Nitin Patil

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Thanks for the great documentation, it saved my day!
11/5/2015 3:20 PM | Scott

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

This is an excellent guide.

7/18/2016 9:42 AM | Sven van Dongen

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Thank you for posting this guide, it helped us resolving the similar issue.
Lync 2013 is back on line.

11/25/2016 10:58 AM | Wenchin

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

You saved my day! Cheers from Japan.
12/13/2016 11:04 AM | matsuri

# re: Lync Server Front-End Service can't start because of expired Certificates

Great article, I was stumped trying to fix this and all the other solutions I found had failed. This one was perfect thank you
10/16/2017 3:58 PM | Robert Wheeler